My computer is still screwed.
Every time I think I’ve got it, it’s another trip to Crash City for me. I don’t know how long we have this morning before everything locks in a frozen, bitter wasteland, but it’s been awhile since we’ve chatted, and I just HAVE to write something.
I’ve got to be quick, though. I can’t let myself get sucked into a long-winded diatribe, because even if I save at the end of every sentence, the interruption in flow will just seriously piss me off and kick me out of the groove.
Knowing my limitations, I met with my writing pit crew. After a furious session of scribbling Xs and Os on a white board for no discernible reason, we came up with a plan of attack for this Muse. I’m typing as fast as I can. To the left is the coffee, to the right, my forehead mopper. I’ve been doing finger push ups for days and I think I can work through any cramping to bring you a….
*** HEADLINE ROUNDUP!!! ***
*pop of confetti cannon*
Sorry we don’t have the band or dancers today. The pit boss felt that we needed to trim every tenth of a second off this production that we possibly could. I don’t necessarily agree, but he was the one with the clipboard, so….
*achem* *tap of pen on clipboard* *lift of one bushy eyebrow*
Right. I need to stay on track. He suggested instead of a rambling intro I just do my bit in bullet points. We’ll give it a try.
– The internet news sites are full of headlines.
– Some of them are good.
– Some of them are stupid.
– We round up the ones that jump out at us and present them to you.
– With jokes.
Wow. He was right. That was pretty straightforward, huh? I was a little worried about how he’d fit on the team in the beginning after he suggested I only type with my left hand, but I have to say, I’m warming up to…
Oh. Right. Headlines. Wave the flag and we’re off!
– Oprah Stuns with New Weight Loss
It’s GOT to be hard being a public figure in today’s internet trolling society. I’ve got nothing bad to say about Oprah for this one. Good job!
– Oprah Celebrates Turning 62 with Her “Favorite Birthday Gift”: Bread!
A case of bread, actually. Nine loaves. Oprah loses a ton of weight, then one of her “friends” sent her a CASE of bread. Oprah, get better friends.
– Best SAG Awards Moments That You Probably, Definitely Missed
Boy, is that going to be a long article.
– The Final Days of an Occupier
…of what? “An occupier” of…WHAT? Come on. Don’t leave me hanging. I MUST know! An occupier of a house? A car? Time and space? The rotting corpse it has invaded in an attempt to take over the world?
– Stricken Ship Heading for the French Coast
*sniff**sniff* Fine. If you don’t like me, I’ll…I’ll…I’ll run away! *sniff* I don’t need your stupid port anyway!
– Trump Spent Nearly $11 Million on Himself
Someone’s slumming it this year.
– Cyclist Exits Race After Officials Find Hidden Motor
BAHAHAHA!!! I’m sorry. I know cheating is bad, but…BAHAHAHAHA!!!
– Queensland Woman’s Disappearance at Sea Still Troubles Friends
“You know, we thought we’d be okay with it by now, but nope. Still bothered.”
– Curiosity Takes Selfie on Mars
…Still Hasn’t Killed the Cat
– Little Tricks to Feel Happier Immediately
Drugs. It’s drugs, right?
– 8 Bizarre Ways Your Spouse Can Affect Your Health
I can’t be the only one that thinks arsenic better be number one on the list.
– Reasons It’s So Hard to Lose Weight
…being displayed side by side with this article…
– Reasons It’s Easier to Lose Weight Than You Think
…proves that mainstream news is just saying whatever you want to hear. #conspirizewithme
– Confident Carson Predicts “Shock and Awe” in Iowa
There’s a fine line between confident and delusional. I’m pretty sure Carson has crossed it.
– GOP’s Condemnation of “Sanctuary Cities” Awkward in Iowa
I bet a lot of the GOP’s condemnations are awkward in Iowa.
– “I’m Gay and I’m a Priest. Period.”
Wow, Fr. Ted. I mean, good for you and all, but we just asked if you wanted a piece of gum. “…oh. Uh. *achem* Sorry. Uhhh…is it spearmint?”
– Why Elephants in American Zoos Might Be the New Orcas in “Blackfish”
Whoa whoa WHOA. Hold up. Because I am an American, and this is the internet, I feel compelled to assure the world that we are NOT, in any way, actually replacing orcas with elephants in the unoccupied Sea World tanks. We don’t even give them guns, smokes, and bitches, so no ‘Murica hate, k? I can assure you that the zoo keeps in this country are only abusing the elephants with whips, cattle prods, and spike boards, just like everyone else.
– Wave of Cubans Finally Reach US After Grueling Land Journey
*unrolls map* *looks at Cuba* *looks at US* *looks at Cuba* ….uh…
– “Eyewash”: How the CIA Deceives Its Own Workforce About Operations
I once cleaned a festering wound on my uncle’s ankle that was as wide as a golf ball and all the way to the bone, and if you could just give me some of that eye bleach so I could erase that memory, CIA, I’d greatly appreciate it.
…come on, CIA. Don’t act like you’re not reading this.
– Does Iowa Really Matter? And Should it?
Dayum, Washington Post. Harsh.
– I’m From New Hampshire and the New Hampshire Primary Has to Go
*gasp of indignation* Back off, poser. If you were really from NH, you’d realize that’s all we’ve got!
– Her Pink Taser, Poisoned Hamburger Patties, And an iPhone: The Story of a Wife Who Lured an Orange County Fugitive Out of Iran
I hate a short, vague headlines like this. If they want me to read it, they could at least drop a clue as to what the article is about.
– Man Sentenced As Habitual Felon
Once you’ve been convicted of a felony in this country, you are forever a felon. So by this logic, EVERY felon can be sentenced for being a habitual felon. You know how I said “no ‘Murica hate” before? I think I have to lift the moratorium.
– Fugitive Found in “Elaborate Tunnel System” Under Trailer Park
DUDE. A trailer park with an elaborate tunnel system?! Sign me up!
– High School Student with Toy Gun Suspended
Good! The ONLY reason to bring a fake gun to school is to cause trouble and make yourself seem like a badass. Period.
– Body Part Dealer Rented Infected Cadavers to Students
wut. Every single part of this headline is just wrong.
– Social Robots May One Day Help Your Doctor
Antisocial Robots May One Day Help Your Lawyer
– This is Why No One Can Own The Moon
Because it’s the FUCKING MOON. Why does it even need to be explained?!
– Scientists Predict Human Thought in Real Time, Nearly Every Time
If this doesn’t raise the hair on the back of your neck, you haven’t read enough sci fi. Knock it off, scientists, before I’ve got to make a time traveling robot to fix this mess you’re trying to create.
– Europe Launches Space Laser Data Satellite
I stopped reading after “Space Laser.” SPACE LASER!!! Pewpewpew!!!
– Norwegian Woman Says She is a Cat Trapped in Human’s Body
I call BS. If she really was a cat trapped in a human’s body, the only thing she would say is “Meow.” Check and mate.
– A 99-year-old Woman Wakes to Exotic Animal on Her Chest; She Screams, It Screams
…we all scream for ice cream! Yay!
– Lucky Thai Dolls “non-human”, says Aviation Authority
Did that actually need to be declared?!
– 2016 Campaign A Season of Discomfort for US Muslims
I don’t think the Muslim population is alone in discomfort this election cycle.
– Two Escaped California Inmates Believed In San Jose
Those poor fools. Everyone knows San Jose is only a myth.
– NASA Would Take C3PO to Space, but Not R2D2 or BB8
WHAT. That’s BULLSHIT! Let’s start a petition RIGHT NOW. #fairnessforALLdroids
– Your Laminate Floor May Be Toxic
So, you know, stop licking it.
– Answers to 7 Burning Tax Questions
1. Actually, it’s a common misconception that petroleum is the best accelerant for burning paper. You want to start with bees wax…
– Earn $90,000 a Year Working for the Government…At Burning Man
Kevin does this. Kevin is a fahkin’ narc. Don’t be like Kevin.
– The Inside Story of How Ted Cruz Won Iowa
He was a douche, but not a total douche. That’s some hard core poli-sci.
– The US Army Wants to 3D Print Customized Food for Soldiers
Two words: soylent green.
– Va. Tech Students Held in “Awesome” Girl’s Death
Totally upstaging the “rad” 7-11 burglary, the “bitchin'” car heist, and the “cool” vandalism.
– NYC Homeless Shelters Rack Up 21,400 Code Violations
I can’t believe that a city in the US has so very little consideration for the safety and well being of its homeless population. They’re usually so warm and welcoming.
– World’s First Robot Run Farm to Open in Japan
This better mean that it’s a farm where old robots go to run around in the field happy and carefree before they die, because if it’s actually a story about robots being in charge of growing our food, then I’m out. I’m done. No more science.
– DNA Got Kid Kicked Out of School- And It’ll Happen Again
Ivy league? Because that seems about right. DNA gets those floofy poodles kicked out of Westminster every year. It was just a matter of time before the owners of the allegedly purebred students took a page from their recreational book and applied it to maintain the integrity of those hallowed halls.
– Dadaab: The City You Cannot Leave
And with a name like that, who’d want to?!
– Judge Gives Man 5 Days For Child Porn, Rails Against Harsh Sentences
Anyone else thinking the judge’s hard drive needs confiscating? NSA, get on that.
Don’t act like you’re not reading this, NSA.
– Orange County Jailbreak was “An Embarrassment”, Says Sheriff
Top story in today’s No Shit Gazette.
– 5 Things You Need to Know this Tuesday
I didn’t read it. Cuz I’m a rebel.
– Carson to Take Break from Campaigning After Iowa Caucus Loss
Yep. Pretty much the same results as the last “shock and awe” plan we witnessed.
– Could These Shapes on Mars Have Been Sculpted By Microbes?
Don’t be ridiculous! They were sculpted by Martians before their environment became toxic and they were forced to settle on a neighboring planet.
– Britain Approves Controversial Gene-editing Experiments
NO. Stop it. Stop it right now! Do NOT edit genes! Stop predicting our thoughts. Don’t make 3D food. Absolutely NO robot farms. Go back to curing diseases and creating plans to re-colonize Mars. Leave the humanity-ending ideas alone. We’re doing just fine on that end without your help.
Thus concludes a Roundup for Tuesday, February 2, 2016. Now, I’m not making any threats, so get off my back, FBI (pfft, don’t act like you’re not reading this), but that furry little rat better not see his shadow. We’re getting an easy winter this year, because even Mother Nature herself realizes just how bitchy she was last year and cut us some slack. I’mma be super pissed if a rat in a hat changes that.