We got some rain last night. I’m hoping that it’ll break this heat wave, but at the moment, it looks like it just made things more moist out there.
I can’t believe I’m saying it, but the air is moist. Warm and…moist.
“Ew, Bethie. Stop saying that word.”
Can’t. There isn’t a word more appropriate for the ickiness. Walking outside yesterday was like walking into a limp, warm, moist sponge.
And now, though cooler, it’s so moist out that the light from the street lamp at the end of my drive is struggling to illuminate anything else. There’s a dense, moist miasma hanging around and…
*squeak of chair*
Wait. Where are you going?
Okay okay! I’ll stop saying it!
“*quirks the eyebrow of dubiousness*”
I promise. Besides, you don’t want to leave today. I have some delicious cake to share. Look at it. Smell it. Mmmmm. It’s not a bit dry, either. In fact, one might say it’s…
“*GLARE OF WARNING*”
…at the peak of freshness!
Come on. Sit back down and have a slice. I was only playing. You wouldn’t want to leave anyway. I’ve got the band ready to go and I thought we’d…
“*plunks down in the chair**grabs a slice of cake* Stop grossing me out already and get to the…
“* * * HEADLINE ROUNDUP ! ! ! * * *”
You jumped the gun, man. No one was ready! The band blew the intro, and the dancers legs all got tangled. Look, I know I owe you for the whole m-word debacle, but just sit there and eat your cake and let me run this, okay?
“*waves fork in my general direction*”
Philipe? Could you be a lamb and put down your tuba to help untangle the ladies? I think the rhinestones on their fishnets got twisted together. Thanks.
Okay, now that the cluster of dancers is in Philipe’s capable hands, let’s get to the Roundup. For those who don’t know, the world itself has become entwined and tangled. Every day the news seems more and more horrible. However, once in awhile, there are headlines that crack me up. Like the streetlamp outside my window, these beacons of ridiculousness shine through the moistness of society.
“…Actually, I’ll allow that one. Continue.”
Sometimes the headlines are dumb. Sometimes they’re poorly worded. But more often or not, they just give me a mental image or a gut reaction I feel I need to share. As always, the headlines themselves are completely real. I just supply the snark.
Everyone up to speed? Excellent. Let’s get into it…
– Trump to Clinton: ‘No More Mr. Nice Guy’
I missed Mr. Nice Guy? When was Mr. Nice Guy?!?
– Doherty Breaks Down Over Breast Cancer Battle
Pfft. Weak. Suck it up, Shannon!
editor’s note: Sarcasm, people. The tone of the article was snarky and sassy, as if a woman battling breast cancer has no right to get upset about it. Sarcasm, the second best -asm there is.
editor’s note about previous editorial note: I didn’t make that line up. I saw it on a t shirt and it always stuck with me. Heh.
– Trump: I Wish Ivanka and Chelsea Weren’t Friends
Holy shit stop the presses!!! Trump and Clinton AGREE on something!!
– Trump: I Wish Ivanka and Chelsea Weren’t Friends
I’m not surprised. I imagine the thought of a positive influence in the lives of his children terrifies him.
– 2 Chicago Officers Relieved of Powers Since Death of Suspect
“Relieved of powers?” What an odd way of putting it. It’s almost as if the media has grabbed hold of a national narrative that seems to sell papers and decided to disproportionately fuel an issue that’s actually not nearly as bad as they have made it out to be or something. Weird.
editor’s note: Shit, really? Okay, guess I have to say it. I’m not anti cop. In fact, I’m VERY anti BAD cop. But, I’m also pro facts, and the fact is, FEWER people are killed by cops now than they were in the past. You want to cringe? Look at the stats from the 1970s. Is it an issue? Yep. Is it as dire as it seems? Nope. Is the media running with it because it’s so much easier to point to an authority figure instead of the thousands of citizen on citizen murders that are the real problem? Oh, no. No WAY they’d POSSIBLY do that.
– Latest Pokemon Go Worries: Sex Offenders
I can’t say I’m surprised. Look at Mewtwo. That ass is thick as fuu….
– 4 Simple Tricks To Beat The Heat…And If They Actually Work
What the hell kind of article is this? What even IS this bullshit? Have we really gotten so lazy as a society that we allow this type of “journalism” on a mainstream news site? I mean, this list could literally contain anything. “Stand in front of an open oven! It won’t work, but it’s something you could try.” My head hurts.
– This Test Will Make You Rethink Ice Cream
Do you like ice cream? If you answered “no”, then you probably should stop eating it. Thanks, Buzzfeed!
– Trump: I Wanted to ‘Hit’ Dems’ Convention Speakers
WHY IS ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS KINDERGARTENER!!!???
– Muslim Blasts Extremists At Friday Prayer With Christians
…perhaps not the best use of words, there.
– Russia Accuses Google Maps of ‘Topographical Cretinism’
BAHAHAHAHA!!! “Topographical Cretinism??” Oh, Russia. You so zany.
– Brussels Can Still Sweat the Small Stuff
You may be worry at your leisure, peons. So said Bloomberg, so shall it be done.
– North Korea Says Decision on Nuclear Tests Depends on US
Awww! The world’s second most annoying toddler wants some attention. It’s okay, Unie. We still know you’re a bad ass. Yes, who’s a wittle bad ass? You are. YOU are! Now go eat a cookie and let the grown ups talk.
– Report: Cops Mistake Krispy Kreme Glaze for Meth
So many questions, so little desire to actually have them answered. I’d much prefer to go with the scene in my head of a guy hoarding a baggie of glaze crumbles while Barney Fife freaks the hell out.
– Clinton Wooing Blue Collar Workers With Bus Tour
Then let the “blue collars” actually on to the bus to see your “humble” ride. The gauntlet has officially been thrown down, Hillary.
– Officials Encourage Travelers Not to Shun Florida for Zika
I’m with the officials here. If you’ve ever read the news, there are far more valid reasons to shun Florida than the off chance of getting a virus. Come on, people. Let’s keep it real.
– Don’t Play Pokemon Go on the Railroad Tracks, Bulgaria Says
Holy shit I never would have thought of this strategy. Thanks for the pro tip, Bulgaria.
– Pence Slams Obama: Politics Is No Place For ‘Name Calling’
Is this guy for real? I mean, is this guy literally a real human being? That’s an honest question. I NEED to know. He’s an android, right? Because there is no way in HELL a real person could possibly have the chutzpah to try and say this when Donald Trump’s name is on the same ticket.
– Her Shot: Clinton Share Vision of America Straight Out of ‘Hamilton’
I thought panders were rare? Didn’t I read somewhere that panders were getting scares in the wild? Maybe China could have some of ours. Seems we’ve got plenty to spare.
– Mass. Motorist Drives Up Utility Pole After Following GPS in Vermont
Cliches become cliches because they’re true…
*fistbump to New Englanders who understand*
– 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About GPS
1. GPS directions are difficult for Massachusetts drivers to understand…
– Facebook Agrees to Refunds for In-app Purchases By Minors
How magnanimous of them to follow the law. Gee, that Zuck is a real stand up guy.
– You Can Buy A Sentry Robot for Your Home
I. Need. This.
– Elon Musk Says You’ll Be Able to Decide Who Can Use Your Self-driving Car
Sooo….like a regular car, then?
– ‘Rain Bomb?’ Seriously? This is the Kind of Thing That Gives Weather Reporting a Bad Rap
Show of hands: Who would read an article about a “rain bomb”? Everyone’s hand is raised, Washington Post. Jealous much?
– Sony Releases Playstation VR Space Requirements: Is Your Room Big Enough?
*sniff* No. *sniff sniff* No it is not. *lone tear*
– Pokemon Go Can Help Address Psychological Disorders
Wait, what? No! That’s not actually what the research shows. In fact, it’s not even “research” so much as one doctor’s opinion! The game could possibly help in cases of mild depression or anxiety because it takes one’s mind off their problem…TEMPORARILY. Gawd I hate irresponsible headlines like this! Don’t stop taking your meds no matter WHAT Pikachu tells you!
– Yorkshire Wants its Own Emoji to Celebrate the County
Okay. Like, no one’s stopping you. Why do you feel the need to appeal to the masses for support through the media? Just…make one. Do you not know how this works, Yorkshire?
– Larry the Lobster, 110, Spared From the Pot, Died on the Way to Retirement
Candlelight vigil for Larry! Don’t mind me if I just put a pot of boiling water over my candle. Could I see Larry for a sec?
– Barack Obama: I Don’t Eat Exactly Seven Almonds Every Night
Someday when your grand kids ask where you were and what you were doing when you heard that President Barack Obama sometimes ate 9 whole almonds in ONE sitting, you can tell them about this moment we shared. I proud to be part of this with you, my friend. We’ll get through it together and come out as a stronger nation.
– ‘Donkey Whisperer’ Translates ‘Eee-aws’ Using Technology
I mean, I guess? Who’s going to refute it?
– Father Lets 8-year-old Twin Daughters Feed Pet Gator Pizza, Cookies
Do you see what I mean about Florida? #don’tsweatthevirus
– The Pokemon Go Baby Name Boom Has Arrived
I will punch you in the face if you name your kid Charmanda.
And finally, the headline of the day:
– Trammin’ In the Name of the Lord: Pope Takes A Ride
In the name of the lord.
Thus concludes a Roundup for Saturday, July 30, 2016. The sun is up now and it’s still looking fairly miserable out there. Maybe it’ll clear off? Hopefully?? Or maybe it’ll just be another moist…