I wasn’t going to do this today.
This was my intended morning agenda:
1. Get up.
2. Get coffee.
3. Remove cat from keyboard.
4. Sip coffee while glancing idly at the news and emails.
5. Finish coffee, then turn on “Escape Pod” podcast and art the morning away.
I got to #4 on the list, then read something so ridiculous, so stupid, so insane that it made me scratch #5 off my mental list and madly scribble a new To Do entry.
Here it is.
5. Get so annoyed with stupid headlines that it becomes necessary to share them with a readership of like-minded people.
Since it was such an abrupt decision, I don’t have the go-go dancers scheduled. I think they’re in Guam tanning on the beach at the moment. Maybe they’ll bring me back a Guamilian necklace or some other Guamling chatchki.
So I don’t have the girls. I also don’t have the band to play the catchy theme music. The head yodeler had mentioned a desire to head up to Wildcat for a gondola ride and a stop over to Clark’s to protest the bears, but ride on the train anyway…
*NH FIST BUMP! 603 4LYFE!!!*
…and I don’t want to interrupt if that’s what they were going to do. It’s cooler up north, and the yodelers tend to get snippy in this heat. Might as well leave them alone until the front breaks. We can do without music and dancers just this once, right?
I suppose in that case, I’ll just clear my throat… *achem**mememe**loolooloo**bah bo bah* *achem* …and, using my best announcer voice, tell you all that it’s time for a…
*** HEADLINE ROUNDUP ***
*fingers tapping the catchy theme music beat out on the computer desk*
*jazz hands for finishing flourish*
Okay, that was lame. Oh well. Nothing to be done for it. It’s what we had to work with on such short notice and it’ll just have to do. God I hope the dancers and band get back before next time. Let’s hope the headlines make up for the bland intro, shall we? I said there were some goodies, and I wasn’t kidding. As always, the headlines I am about to present are legit…I just supply the jokes at their expense. Here goes!
– Landlord Charged In Cecil’s Killing
Wait. I thought Cecil owned his home? Boy, the layers of this story just don’t end.
…and no, that’s not the headline that started this all. I’m working up to it.
– First Almost Fully-Formed Human Brain Grown in Lab, Researchers Claim
Did you know that we share 97.5% of our DNA with mice? “Almost” leaves a pretty wide range of possibilities here, folks.
– US Postal Service Tries its Hand at the Grocery Biz
“After much research, we’ve determined that people like cookies and hate bills. Really, when you get right down to it, it’s a no-brainer.”
– Second Yosemite Tourist Diagnosed with Plague
Man. I wish there was something someone could do to stop the plague. I mean, you know, aside from practicing the most basic acts of personal hygiene on a regular basis…
– Women Pass Ranger School, but Debate Goes On
Fucking men. No, hang on. I’m not a “feminazi,” and folks are often too quick to wave that particular flag. But COME the HELL ON. The women passed the test! LET THEM BE RANGERS. Unless you’re afraid someone without a penis will do a better job. Is that it? Sad little boys playing big men with guns. That’s all this is about.
– Lobster Population Shifting North; Ocean Warming Blamed
Is it the ocean warming, or are lobsters just getting smarter? “Jeez, Bahb, them fahckers down ta the cape are chappin’ my ass with them wicked stupid traps. They got Linda week before last. What say we go up the way ta Canada? They ain’t settin’ traps up there yet.” “You bet.” “Bitchin’. Let’s go.”
– General Mayhem! Retired 4-Star Army General Slams Chinese Food Delivery Man Against Fridge for Not Taking Check: Cops
You don’t get to be a 4-star general without gettin’ a little mu on your shu.
Anyone else really, really hope his last name is Tso?
– Dramatic Video Shows Great White Shark Leaping Out of Water to Catch Seal
Hold the phone… Seals can FLY?!
– Stuffed Pig Having Time of its Life While Looking for Owner
No. No it is not. It is a stuffed animal. It has no life and it is enjoying nothing.
– Putin Dives in Mini-Sub to Shipwreck Off Crimea
If this doesn’t put a comical Spy vs. Spy image in your head, then I don’t even know why we’re friends.
– Muslim Leaders Sign Sweeping Climate Change Declaration
Sure people might be losing their heads left and right in middle eastern nations, but they’ll be losing them AFTER they properly sort their recycling. #priorities
– Russian Police Get Tough on Illicit Cheese
“I am KGB. I grill you until you talk.”
…stop groaning. You know you love it.
– For Mexicans, Trump’s Bid is Getting Scarier
For AMERICANS, Trumps bid is getting scarier!
– Name Company For Workers Online Contract
Dennis. I name it Dennis.
– Hamas: We Captured Dolphin Spying for Israel!
Enlightened lobsters. Flying seals. Spying dolphins. What the HELL is going on in our oceans?! Scientists, put down your pet brains and figure this shit out before we’re forced to serve our orca overlords.
– Saudi Arabia and Iran: Volatile Political Geography of Oil and Minorities, Analysis
I have to admit that I *do* feel better about America when I read that other regions waste money on bullshit, no brainer studies, too. It’s not just us. It’s a small comfort, but a comfort nonetheless.
– Man Who Climbed Brooklyn Bridge, Took Selfie is Arrested
I think we can all rest easier knowing that this sick bastard is locked up. The streets will be a little less mean tonight. Thanks, NYPD! #priorities
– Finkbeiner Says Merging Government Makes Sense
Can we just stop and appreciate the fact that somewhere in this nation, a politician has the last name “Finkbeiner?”
– Police: Man With Explosive Device had No Anti-abortion Aim
He didn’t seem to care much about animal rights, nationalized health care, or the global effects of longterm drought conditions in central Asian nations, either. Go figure.
– Why Ted Cruz Has the Best Chance of Becoming the GOP Nominee
*can’t type comment…too busy laughing hysterically…*
– Researchers Say “Tree of Life” Actually a “Bush”
The tag line is the real scoop here: The idea is that when incidents of rapid speciation arise, evolution moves so quickly that the genome doesn’t diverge neatly. I have no idea why they didn’t lead off with that in the first place. Talk about a catchy hook, eh?
– Real Flying Saucers: Why Manhole Covers Take Flight in Summer
Because they must obey the call of their people. Fly, little manhole covers. Fly to the mother ship.
– Man in Bear Costume Harasses Bears In Alaska
The authorities intervened. I don’t think they should have. This is one problem that would have sorted itself out.
– Black Bear Destroys Interior of Teacher’s Car
See? Bears deliver their own swift justice. Sometimes the all natural approach is best.
– Buffet Fans Scolded for Leaving Homemade Toilets At Show
If you can sit through the fishbowl at a Buffet concert and be coherent enough to make your own toilet instead of pissing yours pants, you should get a medal, not a scolding. Real talk.
– Taiwan Will Preserve Adorable, Typhoon-damaged Mailboxes
Is it me, or is Taiwan swiftly replacing Japan on the WTF meter?
– Official Wheaties Beer Coming to Minnesota
Wait. I thought the entire point of Wheaties was to provide a healthful start to a healthy day? This is madness. I suppose next you’re going to tell me that Cap’n Crunch is launching a rum line in Florida, or that the Lucky Charm Leprechaun will soon be pimping whiskey in Boston? #funnybutnotfunnybecauseit’sprobablytrue
– The Tallest Building Never Built
Nuh uh. I thought of the tallest building never built. It went a bazillion miles high to Saturn. I win.
– I Am Not An “Alien”
Nope. No way. No aliens here. *gulps* *tugs at collar* Is it getting hot as a glarplunx flardahp in here, or is it just me?
– Maybe Clinton Just Isn’t A Very Good Candidate?
– Jeb Bush: NSA Needs Broader Powers to Combat ‘Evil Doers’
…but she’s sure as hell better than him!
– Americans Back Federal Funds to Planned Parenthood for Health Services, According to Poll
OF FUCKING COURSE WE DO. It’s an organization that spends the overwhelming majority of its time proving necessary health care of all the naughty bits people don’t like to talk about to folks who desperately need it. It’s 2015. THIS SHOULDN’T EVEN BE AN ISSUE!!!
– Sanders Outpaces Dean’s 2004 Run
Now, if he can only keep from making a funny “blearrrrah yeah” noise on camera… #maplesyrup4lyfehag
– The Meaning of Trump
I honestly, truly, 100%, deep in my heart of hearts believe that Donald Trump is actually just an irradiated pile of silicone with hair.
– Navy Seeks Better Sub-Hunting Technology to Counter Putin
Anyone else getting an image of Putin cackling maniacally while ineptly zipping around the bottom of the ocean in his mini-sub to the Benny Hill theme song? #funnybutnotfunnybecauseit’sprobablytrue
– Second Bangkok Bomb Puts City on Edge
…it took two to raise concern?!
– California Teenager Dies at Rave, Following Two Similar Deaths This Month
But, it’s, like, totally safe. PLUR ‘n angels ‘n shit.
– Africa Could Fit China and the U.S., With Room to Spare
Fifth grade geography is now breaking news. No Shit Gazette contribution for today?
– Idaho Replaces Mile Marker 420 with 419.9 to Thwart Stoners
Okay then. I guess it truly IS a geography-news day. Apologies for the previous snarkery. My bad.
– Probe of Clinton’s Server Could Find More than Just Emails
Let’s just be honest: Porn. That’s what everyone’s hoping to find.
– Bad-boy Kygrios Goes Out After Gasquet Spanking
I see they already found something juicy on Hillary’s PC…
OH COME ON. Don’t act like you weren’t in the gutter with me when you read that. Pfft.
And the headline that started it all today…
– NYC Mayor Signs Anti-Legionaires’ Bill
Wait a minute. Humanity is how old? We’ve had how many deadly viral outbreaks in our history? Untold millions have been wiped off the face of the earth… And no one thought to simply ban a virus before? Sometimes we just make things so hard on ourselves.
Thus concludes a Roundup for Wednesday, August 19, 2015. NOW I’m going to art. Or screw around online. …yeah, ‘prolly that last one.